Chocolate Easter Egg Cake
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Put the chocolate into a small bowl, pour over the hot coffee, cover and leave to melt.
- Whisk the buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla together in a jug.
- In an electric mixer mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- With the mixer running slowly add the buttermilk mixture, mix until just combined.
- Whisk the chocolate and coffee together and fold into the cake batter. Split between the tins and bake for 25-35 mins or until a skewer comes out clean from the centre.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool in the tins for 30 minutes before turning out and leaving to cool completely.
- Decorate using half the ganache to fill the cake and use the rest on the top, piping some around the bottom, if desired. Use your favourite mini Easter eggs to decorate the top.
- 85g dark chocolate, chopped
- 200 ml espresso coffee, hot
- 200 ml buttermilk
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 285 g plain flour
- 395g caster sugar
- 75g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 250g mini Easter eggs,
- 2 x 8 “ loose leaf baking tins, oiled and the base lined with parchment.