Layered Red Velvet Cupcakes
Preheat the oven to 180 c. Grease and line rectangular cake tin with parchment.
1. Whisk together the flour, baking soda and cocoa into a bowl and set aside.
2. Pour the oil into the bowl of an electric mixer, add the granulated sugar and mix until pale. Add the eggs beating after each addition, then the red food colouring and vanilla.
3. Mix the coffee and buttermilk together. Add half to the oil and sugar mix and beat in, then half the dry ingredients.
4. Stir the vinegar into the remaining buttermilk mix and beat into the cake batter. Finish by folding in the remaining flour.
5. Spoon the mixture into the tin and spread evenly bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when pressed into its centre. Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool fully.
6. To assemble, crumble the cake by hand, starting with the cake crumbs layer the cake and cream together in the glasses.
7. Pipe or spoon whipped cream on the top.
Serve with additional cream.
- 250g plain flour
- 1 ¼ tsp baking soda
- 5g cocoa
- 240 ml sunflower oil
- 300g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. red gel food colour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 ml cold espresso
- 240 ml Avonmore Buttermilk
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 x tub Avonmore Freshly Whipped Cream